New Moon: Movie Review/Response (Kuya Kevin)


OK, so your first boyfriend had fangs, then your second boyfriend has . . . fur? This has the most bizarre love triangle ever.


Edward Cullen is 109 years old and can quote Shakespeare verbatim . . . but he hasn't managed to graduate high school.

Shall I go on?

Needless to say, I didn't enjoy this movie at all.

Why did I even bother watching New Moon? Because I knew the vast majority of my students did (especially the girls). I decided I could endure two hours of misery to keep in touch with my students.

I also watched it in order to address it from a Christian/pastoral perspective.

Please keep something in mind: I'm not saying New Moon is "bad." It's fine with me if you enjoyed watching it. You can go watch it twice if you want, though I think there are better uses of your money.

What I want to do is make sure we are critically thinking about some of the movie's major events and themes. Here are three "talking points" I'd like to share with you--things I would point out to a young, impressionable mind:

*Boys in the Bedroom

Isabella (the main female character) always ends up having boys visit her bedroom. Fortunately, there are no sex scenes--Jacob and Edward are perfect gentlemen. But this is an unrealistic depiction of what happens in such tempting situations (see also: Hotel Rooms and Hand Grenades).

*I'd Rather Die than Live Without You

Edward's departure puts Isabella into a deep depression--she basically gives up on life. Edward attempts suicide because he believes Isabella has died. This, of course, ads to the whole Romeo and Juliet aspect of the story. This is fine for the movies, but not real life--we are supposed to build our lives on Jesus, not a romantic relationship (see also: Dumped--Overcoming a Breakup).

*Bad Boys

Jacob and Edward are both dangerous, albeit for different reasons--the whole "bad boy" thing. Edward has overcome his own urge to drink blood, but unwittingly exposes Isabella to those who would harm her. Jacob's werewolf temper is the problem--his "pack leader" even attacked is own wife in a moment of beastly rage. All this ads dramatic effect and tension to the movie. But bad boys are usually just bad news in real life (see also: Three Stupid Words Women Say and The Two Types of Men).

I hope this humble post will help those of you who work with youth--movies like this are an opportunity to help them think critically
 

Share |

0 comments (leave a comment):

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger, comments by Disqus